Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pluto

Interesting how scientific findings over time change our reality of the world isn't it? I still often forget that Pluto is now a moon instead of a planet. But it was always a planet when I was a kid! Now I have to see it as a moon?

That would be a funny way to break up with someone. "At first I saw you as promising, now I just see you as an idiot." Okay, so not everyone has my sense of humor. ;)

So if I'm ever a grandparent, given that I lived in the desert most of my life I probably won't be able to get it past my grandkids that I had to walk 10 miles uphill everday in the snow to get to school. But I COULD say, "When I was your age, Pluto was a planet!"

4 comments:

pastamasta said...

Pluto is still a planet. I don't care what the bloody IAU says, and frankly "dwarf planet" is offensive both to planets and to short people (no-one ever worries about offending planets, which is unwise in my books; they are bigger than you and have more volcanoes, so play nice).

...And ten miles uphill every day? Luxury! When I was a lad, we had to walk 220 miles over hot lava wearing hedgehogs for shoes. You had it easy.

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

Well perhaps it is easy to offend planets because we don't come in their vicinity in order for them to do anything about it. But I can imagine how i'd feel as I approached Jupiter...the poo would have NO problems coming out then!!!

Gotta give me some time to come up w/ a comeback for the lava comment-friggin fraggit!

pastamasta said...

...so what you're saying is, offending planets is like me shouting obscenities at the guy in the blue Mondeo who cuts me up at the M40 roundabout every morning, who is about 6' 7" and is built like a concrete rhinoceros but is very far away at the point in time when I'm doing the shouting?

All I'm saying is, you'd better hope Pluto doesn't decide to come round your house and kick your arse. Or your ass.

P.S. For the ultimate comeback to the lava comment, check out the original concept, from the unparalleled genius that is Monty Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

These days kids have it so easy, with their own rooms that have their own tvs in them. And they still act like little shits. When I was a kid, I just had my own cardboard box with 2 little holes so I could breathe.

lol...Monty Python is bloody hilarious.

Well of course insulting planets is the same as you cursing a huge bloke who can't hear you. If he can't hear you, then what's the harm? Hell, I don't hesitate in giving people the finger on the road!