Friday, July 17, 2009

Irony

Okay, so I'm just gonna say this one time (ah, who am I kiddin, I'll be bitchin about it for as long as I live): how can we put a man on the moon and yet so many people don't know what the definition of "irony" is??? K, I'm gonna throw out some other words that people actually mean when they say "ironic:"

Coincidental, paradoxical, hypocritical, contradictory, fittingly, or simply *unexpected.*

Pick one, k? Pleeeeeeaaaaase pick ANY other one other than ironic cuz you probably don't mean ironic. I don't care if the other one you pick is also wrong, I'm just tired of hearing "ironic." Writers should not even write good irony anymore if people can't recognize it. And we can watch What the Bleep do We Know? and discuss quantum physics, but don't get common vocabulary?

9 comments:

Kenike said...

I always use it wrong, and I don't even care. :)

At some point, if everyone uses it wrong it becomes right.

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

But, but, it doesn't take more effort to say coincidence than it does to say ironic! Oh the humaaaaaanity!!!

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

And this from a writer no less. Oh the humaaaaanity!!!!

Imaginista said...

Irony is dead.

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

That's a good point Imaginista, perhaps it just is dead compared to the past! Actually, I think the writers of Seinfeld did a good job using irony to show that if a bunch of schmucks focus on materialistic things, their plans will blow up in their faces. I don't know if that was the writers' specific intention, but that's what I got from it a lot of times.

BE said...

Don't even get me started on "literally." [shudder]

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

Yeah, i hear ya BE. I also get annoyed when people say, "You have a few choices." Um, no, they probably mean that the person has a few *options* from which to make *one* choice. Unless the person can choose more than one option. The beauty of the diversity in the English language is that it allows us to be more precise-so let's use it people!

Imaginista said...

I have to be so careful around you people. ;)

Kenike said...

I don't even worry about it. I say whatever, and if they know what I mean, that equals success. And if I get to make up a few words or word usages in the process, all the better! ;)