Sunday, February 01, 2009

Longevity

Ever notice how we're always trying to prolong our lives? Eat this and it'll help you live longer. Breathe this way and it'll help you live longer. Do yoga and it'll help you live longer. We get too focused on living longer rather than living itself.

But does anyone wonder WHY we'd want to live longer? Thing about it, it just means dealing with more ups and downs of the economy, more dealing with stupid, mean or pansy-assed bosses, more showering, more cleaning, more shopping, more cooking, more flossing... and for what seems like from the beginning of time the only thing on the US news is the economy and Gaza strip. I don't know that I want to continue to see that...

Though, as my professor says, I don't wanna sit on a cloud and play the harp for eternity either.

Not exactly thrilling.

5 comments:

BE said...

My fave is the finding that eating a calorie-restricted diet (i.e. 1400-1600 cals, or even as low as 1100-1200) helps low down the metabolism (duh), which is a GOOD thinig, because having a high metabolism=aging faster and burning yourself out more quickly, leading to a shorter life. But, as the rebuttals have gone, a life of restricting cals like that is NOT a life in which I am interested. Let me have my food and a nicely inefficient metabolism with some killer buns and glamor guns. Now, THAT's living!

pastamasta said...

I'm generally with BE on this one... a life without enjoyment is no life at all. Having said which, if I indulged my personal preferences without thinking about the consequences, I would be roughly the size and shape of a giant pumpkin and there would be a serious shortfall in the worldwide availability of European cheeses, so perhaps there's something to be said for a modicum of restraint.

Imaginista said...

Spoken like a true "yogi' who understands that this isn't all there is! To people who worry about going to hell, I ask, where do you think you are? Maya is a bitch.

word verification: sturbip - what happens when you taste test too much while cooking.

BE said...

Sein Felda: where the comments provide as much entertainment as the original posts!

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

Thanks for all your comments everyone!! And thanks BE for the compliment. I have loved blogging all these years, and I owe that to Kenike for introducing me to it and helping me get acquainted. She and pastamasta have been my tech support team-ha! :) luv, Felda