Monday, September 05, 2005

Coughing

So we care about people when they sneeze. We say "bless you." I much prefer to say "Salud" which is Spanish for "health." Makes so much more sense because sneezing could mean the person is sick, or coming down w/ something, etc., okay so you catch my drift.

But I love how with coughing we don't show any concern. How is it different from sneezing in terms of severity? I mean the person could be dying and we don't say anything. I know with me, if I'm at the movies and someone is coughing uncontrollably, I'm thinking "shut the #@!! up!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surfing like a dog
The employee sits at her desk staring intensely at her computer screen. Is she analyzing a document of major import to her company's future? She furrows her eyebrows and begins typing rapidly.
Your blog I found while on my break. You may find topics in connection with health issues to be interesting. Take a look when you get a chance.

river selkie said...

i think it has more to do with the old belief behind yawning that the devil or a demon will often take that opportunity to possess you. so people say 'bless you' to prevent that possession and have god look out for your soul. it has more to do with that than with the state one's health. hence we ignore coughers.

Felda, Jerry Seinfeld's Biggest Fan said...

Anonymous: when I click on that link it sends me to the Earthlink page. was there something in particular you wanted to share?

River Selkie: you don't have to get all technical on me when I was trying to be funny! ;) J/K, actually, thanks for the info, I had known something to that effect. but then how come we say bless you after the sneeze and not right at the yawning stage? huh? huh? ;)

river selkie said...

ok, i had it a little bit off when i wrote about this before. one covers the mouth to prevent the devil from posessing you in the first place. and one says 'god bless you' because sneezing is a sign that a devil or evil spirit is trying to get out of the body.

my folklore book says more interesting stuff about sneezing...including "the moslems wash their noses out with water because the devil visits it at night."

hmmm.